Special Contributor: Kenny Dawn Young, Marketing Intern at Rooks to Cooks
#CONTESTREMINDER: Don’t forget about our Father’s Day contest on Instagram and you could win a $50 Amazon Gift Card. 3 Easy Steps: (1) Follow us @rooks2cooks, (2) Like our contest post, (3) Tag 3 Friends (contest ends Tuesday, June 22). Click here to enter.
Bonding together over food is a perfect way to spend this Father’s Day. Read on for more details about our Instagram Live cooking class (plus recipes) on Sat. June 20th from 4-6 p.m.
Every year families love to get together in June to celebrate Father’s Day. On this day, we want to show just how special our fathers are to us with golf clubs, dress shirts, power tools… and maybe another pair of socks. Let’s just say, dads are notoriously difficult to shop for. This year, Rooks to Cooks is inspiring families to do something different for Dad and all the special male role models in our families — Let’s give them the gift of cooking together!
Cooking is a secret weapon for bringing families together. The time spent preparing a dish creates happy memories that your family can cherish forever. This year let’s celebrate fathers and male role models in our lives by spending quality time in the kitchen making their favourite recipe! Rooks To Cooks is planning a special celebration for Father’s Day — Join our cooking event on Instagram Live on Sat. June 20 from 4-6 p.m. when Chef Sera will be making homemade potato salad, BBQ sauce, baked chicken wings and ranch buttermilk dip (All RECIPES BELOW). Fortunately, one thing all Dads have in common, is just how much they adore food and love to eat. So, by offering this finger-lickin’ meal, fathers across the country will have a happy heart and a full belly!
If you already have a family tradition of cooking for your dad on Father’s Day, there are easy ways to add a little flair to the recipe. You can always incorporate an element of personalization to a dish that makes it unique to you and your dad. Whether it be adding a new ingredient, the artistic plate set-up or becoming adventurous with toppings…it’s up to you, make it special!
If you want to dive even deeper and dedicate time to an extravagant Father’s Day, a fun idea is to create a theme around the recipe you are creating! Try to better understand where the food comes from culturally or situationally and decorate the eating space accordingly. For example, If you choose to participate in making Rooks To Cooks Father’s Day recipes on June 20th via Instagram live, you could create a picnic setting outside in the backyard to accompany the delicious food! Wings and Potato Salad go hand-in-hand with a picnic theme; have a little basket for the dipping sauce, get a pitcher of water, and implement some fun decor of your own.
At Rooks to Cooks we understand cooking is a large part of parenting, sometimes it may feel endless. Fortunately, on Father’s Day, this can be the time to thoroughly enjoy cooking with the whole family. Below we have provided the recipes that Rooks To Cooks will be cooking on June 20th to help make your Father’s Day a memorable one!
GET Ready for your IG Live Class (@rooks2cooks). Following is a list of equipment needs and the recipes/ingredients you will need for Saturday, June 20 (4-6 p.m.):
- 1 medium pot
- 1 small pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Microplane grater or garlic press
- 2 cutting boards
- 2 chef knives
- 2 x small mixing bowls
- 2 x medium mixing bowls
- 1 x large mixing bowl
- Baking Sheet with parchment paper
- 2 x whisks
- 1 x mixing spoon
Order of Operations:
- Boil Potatoes (if not prepped already)
- Par-Bake Chicken Wings
- Prep BBQ Sauce
- Prep Ranch Dip
- Toss wings and Bake
- Prep Potato Salad
- Serve all items
RECIPES for Father’s Day Cooking Class:
Baked Chicken Wings
Servings: 4 portions
- 4 lbs chicken wings, wing tip removed (approximately 6-8 wings per portion)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Season wings with garlic powder, salt and pepper and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the fat is rendered off and the skin is crispy.
- Toss wings in BBQ sauce and return to the baking sheet. Put wings back into the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce is hot and has dried to the wings slightly.
- Cauliflower florets may be substituted for chicken, but cut the cooking time in half.
Chef Shai’s Signature Finger-Licking Homemade BBQ Sauce
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté onion & garlic for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Add everything else and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes.
Dijon & Green Onion Red-Skinned Potato Salad
Yield: 4 servings
- 550g New potatoes (red-skinned preferred)
- 20ml Red wine vinegar
- 16g grainy dijon mustard
- 35ml olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, paysanne cut
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 24g chopped parsley
- 15g chopped dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice the potatoes in half. Bring to a boil in a medium pot and cook until just tender (about 20 minutes).
- While potatoes are cooking prepare the green onions, celery, and herbs. Drain potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Working quickly, whisk together the vinegar, dijon, and garlic. While continuing to whisk, add the olive oil in a steady stream until vinaigrette is well emulsified.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the potatoes and mix gently. Be sure all potatoes are well coated with vinaigrette. Let potatoes cool in the vinaigrette.
- Once potatoes are room temperature, mix in the green onions, parsley, and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill and serve.
Buttermilk Ranch Dip
Yield: 1 cup
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.