- The grilled cheese sandwich became popular in the 1920s, after the invention of processed cheese (Kraft slices) and sliced bread. It was inexpensive and easy to make.
- This sandwich is very versatile because you can change it up in so many ways: (a) try it with different breads, such as white, whole wheat, sourdough, rye …, (2) try a different cheese, such as Cheddar, Swiss, Brie, … There are so many possibilities!
- Do you like to ADD to your grilled cheese sandwich? Most popular add-ons are bacon, ham and tomato. But how about some sauteed vegetables?
- Number of calories in a typical grilled cheese sandwich: about 291 calories.
- How much would you pay for a sandwich? In 2004, a grilled cheese sandwich, which supposedly had a grill pattern on it in the image of the Virgin Mary, was posted on eBay and purchased for $28,000! What??
- According to RecordSetter, Takeru Kobayashi set a record for eating 13 grilled cheese sandwiches in one (1) minute (Austin, Texas, March 11, 2012).
And now … Chef Shai has a very “gouda” recipe to share!! Try this gooey, delicious sandwich today 🙂
Yield: 2 servings
- 150g old white cheddar sliced thinly
- 4 Slices of sourdough bread
- 30g unsalted butter
- For each sandwich, generously spread 2 pieces of bread with butter and lay on your cheese slices. Top with the other slice of bread and spread the outsides with a good amount of butter.
- Heat some butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches carefully in the butter and fry until crisp and golden brown. Flip and continue frying until second side is crisp and golden brown and cheese is fully melted.
- Remove sandwiches from frying pan and slice in half. Enjoy immediately.