- Popcorn is derived from maize; its scientific name is “Zea Mays Everta”
- Air popped popcorn has only 30 calories per quart
- Canadians eat about 1.6 billion quarts of popcorn per year
- Popcorn can pop up to 3 feet into the air
- The #1 use of microwave ovens is to make popcorn
Want to make a sweet treat? Try our Caramel Corn recipe. Super easy to do with your kids … we know they will love this one!
Yield: 4 servings
- 45g butter
- 90g brown sugar
- 25mL corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5g baking soda
- 1mL vanilla extract
- 45g popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in baking soda and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, add popcorn and drizzle caramel mixture over popcorn; stirring well to coat every kernel.
- In large baking dishes, bake the corn for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes. Let it cool completely before consuming.