Special Contributor: Mardi Roback, Marketing Intern at Rooks to Cooks
#CONTEST REMINDER: Don’t forget about our Instagram Contest to win a Rooks to Cooks Goodie Bag, which includes a chef coat, apron, no-cut glove, R2C hat and swag bag (valued at $60). Between Friday, May 8 and Monday, May 11 (11:59 p.m.) post a picture to show us what you made for your mom on her special day! Winner will be randomly selected from all posts received. Contest Instructions: (1) post a picture of what you made for mom use hashtag #RTCforMom, (2) Follow and tag us @rooks2cooks, (3) Go to our Instagram post, comment on the post and tell us “Done”, (4) for some bonus entries, tag a friend in the comments. Contest is open to all Canadian residents 18+ (or with parent’s permission). Winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the deadline. Happy Cooking and Good luck!!
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day as a family than with a delicious Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch. Mom will love a specially made feast created by her little ones! Let’s celebrate Mom and show her how much we appreciate everything that she does, from the cooking and the cleaning to all of the hugs and kisses!
During the pandemic, we appreciate that not all ingredients will be readily available, so we are providing a few different options to get kids into the kitchen to create some fun and delicious treats for mom!
To get all of your kids involved in the Mother’s Day activities, start with creating Mother’s Day cards! Kids of all ages can colour and decorate a special card for mom with crayons and pictures.
Before we get started, let’s think about Mom. Does she like sweet or salty food? What is her fa-vorite food? What does she order when you go out to eat or stay in? Brainstorming ideas about Mom’s food preferences is the best way to pick the perfect recipe for her!
Here are a few fun brunch ideas that kids of all ages will love to help out with:
- Pancakes: Does Mom have a sweet tooth? Pancakes are a breakfast/brunch staple, and we know mom will love the addition of some fresh blueberries! Pancakes are simple, easy, and fun! A pancake breakfast is sure to make Mom smile. P.S a few chocolate chips never hurt anyone…(Check out our fluffy pancake recipe below!)
- Eggs and toast: Fried or Scrambled Eggs are an easy breakfast/brunch idea for Mom, making sure that she gets her protein and whole grains in early to fuel her busy day! Choose Mom’s favourite spreads for the toast such as cream cheese, butter, jam, peanut butter, or Nutella. Maybe cook up bacon or sausage on the side for some added protein.
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfait: Fresh fruits are full of good nutrients and vitamins, so make a list with your kids of Mom’s favorite fruits and get them to help you set it up. Mix the fruit with the yogurt and maybe add some granola or nuts and seeds for a nice crunch!
- Baked goods – Croissants, cinnamon buns, cookies, cupcakes …Oh my! If you are up for a challenge, you might consider making one of these delicious treats. There is nothing more special than some home-baked goods to show Mom how sweet she really is!
We challenge you to expand your mind and try to be as creative as possible. Maybe you make a happy face out of fruit on top of the pancakes, pick some flowers from the garden, or add a se-cret ingredient like a pinch of cinnamon to Mom’s Yogurt Parfait!
And finally, always remember to put safety first! Teach and remind your children about kitchen safety. Make sure that your kids are always supervised while they are in the kitchen – especially important if you are cooking on the stove, and while using any kitchen tools that may be sharp or dangerous if not used correctly. Kids of all ages can participate in helping the family whip up a delicious breakfast for Mom! Give your child a special job to make them feel important and like they are contributing to some-thing special. It could be measuring ingredients, putting them in the bowl, mixing the ingredients, decorating, etc.
Now you are all ready to give Mom a special Mother’s Day treat. Join in the fun whether you are big or small and give Mom a Mother’s Day that she will never forget! Ready…. set….cook!
P.S. We look forward to seeing your creations on Instagram for your chance to win a great prize pack!!
Rooks to Cooks Fluffy Pancake Recipe / Yield: 4 pancakes
** be sure to double or triple the recipe if you need more pancakes **
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- optional: blueberries or chocolate chips
- Maple syrup topping
- Beat egg until fluffy.
- Whisk in milk and vegetable oil.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined.
- Heat a frying pan which is greased.
- Pour a small amount of batter (approx. 1/4 cup) into pan and tip to spread out or spread with a spoon. Add optional items now, i.e. arrange a few blueberries on top.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and begin to break and the edges firm up. Flip over and cook the second side until pancakes are fluffy, lightly browned, and cooked through.
- Plate your pancakes; add a few more toppings like maple syrup, fresh berries, icing sugar or whipping cream. Yum!