- Rudolf Lindt, the famed chocolatier, created a process called “conching” in 1879. This process produced a smoother, silkier chocolate that could be used for baking. This enabled bakers to transform white or yellow cakes to the yummy chocolate cakes that we know and love today.
- There are SO many different types of chocolate cakes. We love the classic chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Also popular is German Chocolate Cake and Chocolate Mousse cake. Yum!
- Chocolate contains cacao, which is thought to affect mood. A chemical in cacao stimulates the brain’s naturally-occurring endorphins and increases serotonin production. Serotonin is the chemical that makes us feel good! It is for this reason that chocolate consumption is encouraged; in moderation of course 🙂
- Cocoa beans, the base for making chocolate, are seeds from the cacao tree. The beans are found inside the cacao pods; each pod contains 20 – 60 cocoa beans.
Our Signature Cake Recipe with Chocolate Buttercream are sure to be a big hit for those with a sweet tooth!! So rich and delicious.
Rooks to Cooks’ Signature Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
Yield: 2 – 8 inch round pans
[Tip: If you want to make the chocolate POP and add a kick to your cake, add coffee instead of water to your mix]
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ Cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water (or coffee)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder & soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium for one minute.
- Stir in boiling water (Batter will be thin, don’t worry about it)
- Cover bottom of pan with parchment (cut into circle) and sides with parchment, cut rectangular strip.If you don’t want to cover pan with parchment, spray with cooking spray and powder with flour.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Swiss Meringue Chocolate Buttercream
Yield: 1 pint
- 200g sugar
- 150g egg whites
- 225g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 225g Melted dark chocolate
- 28g vanilla extract
- Cook sugar and egg whites over a double boiler until 60F.
- Beat the sugar and egg whites into hard peaks with whisk, and let it cool.
- Once cooled, add salt, chunks of soft butter, melted chocolate and vanilla, and mix with paddle attachment until smooth.