- Croissant means “crescent” in French; referring to its shape.
- It is believed that the croissant actually originated in Austria, sometime in the 13th Century.
- The main ingredient of puff pastry is butter – it gives it the delicious flavour and flakiness.
- Croissants can be filled with numerous foods, such as, chocolate, ham and cheese, nuts, dried fruits.
Check out our Croissant Recipe – so buttery and delicious!
Yield: 14 croissants
- 480g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 58g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 353mL cup of cold milk
- 340g cold butter for laminating, cold but pliable
- Extra flour for dusting
- 1 egg + a pinch of salt for egg wash
- Using the standmixer with the dough hook attachment, mix the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and 58g of butter at a slow speed.
- Pour the milk gradually as the mixer is mixing on low. When all the milk has been poured, increase speed to medium.
- It is done mixing once the dough no longer clings to the side of the bowl.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, roll out 340g of butter into a square (20cm by 20cm).
- Refrigerate until you are ready to laminate.
- Roll the dough out to a square (25cm by 25cm).
- Rotate the dough so that it is a diamond. Place the square of butter into the diamond.
- Fold the dough corners into the middle .
6. Roll the dough into a rectangle (60cm by 20cm). Fold the dough like a book.
7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Roll the dough into a rectangle (50cm by 20cm). Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Feel free to leave overnight.
Rolling directions for croissant:
- Roll the dough into a rectangle (75cm by 20cm). Cut into triangles.
Rolling directions for pain au chocolat:
- Roll the dough into a rectangle (75cm by 20cm). Put chocolat on one edge and roll the dough into a log. Cut into smaller pieces.
2. Brush with egg wash and proof for 2 hours.
3. Egg wash one more time and bake at 375F for 10 minutes. Rotate croissants, then bake for 8 more minutes.