- Pies can be filled with a variety of sweet or savoury ingredients.
- According to a survey by Tenderflake, Canadians like the following five sweet pies the best: Apple Pie (17%), followed by Lemon Meringue (14%), Pecan (10%), Blueberry (10%) and Pumpkin (8%).
- The typical pie is round, 20–25 cm in diameter and 5–8 cm thick.
- To get a fluffy pie pastry: put grated pieces of COLD butter in your dough so that it gets distributed throughout the crust and makes it extra fluffy while it bakes.
- Pies can be made with either One Crust, where the filling is put on top of the pastry dough and baked (with no top crust) or Two Crust, in which there is a bottom crust with filling that is covered by a top crust.
If you want to indulge in a delicious PIE today, then please check out our mouth-watering recipe below …
Rooks to Cooks’ Signature Apple Pie Recipe
Yield: 1 9-inch pie
Pie Dough Ingredients:
- 375g all-purpose flour
- 160g frozen unsalted butter
- 125g vegetable shortening or pure lard
- 100g COLD water
- 7.5g salt
- 15g brown sugar
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the salt, sugar, flour butter, shortening mix together.
- Rub shortening into flour until reduced to pea-sized crumbs. Once pea-sized crumbs, grate cold butter into flour. Toss butter lightly using the salad tossing method.
- Add cold water little bits at a time, mixing in between additions. Mix just enough to incorporate, do not over mix!
- Transfer dough to floured table. Shape into a thick disc. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 2 Granny smith apples peeled and sliced
- 3 ambrosia apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup – ½ cup sugar (depending on preference)
- 2-3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ lemon juiced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp cold water (egg wash)
- 1 tbsp sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, sugar, cornstarch, lemon, and cinnamon.
- Pour into the crust, leaving room around the edges to seal.
- Roll out the remaining dough and place on top remembering to cut in vents to allow steam to escape.
- Seal the edges and then brush with egg wash and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400F, bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 50 – 70 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and filling is soft.