#WorldVegetarianDay originated back in 1977. It’s a great way to raise awareness about the benefits of a plant-based diet. Even if you’re not a vegetarian, try it for a day. Prepare a vegetarian meal for family or friends!
Canada’s Food Guide recommends half your plate should be vegetables and fruits. Include them throughout the day in meals and snacks. Choose different coloured vegetables and textures to fit your taste. And remember that some of the freshest and most delicious vegetables and fruits can be found at your local farmer’s market.
Why not give Chef Shai’s delicious Greek Salad recipe a try?
Rooks to Cooks’ Greek Salad Dressing
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together.
Rooks to Cooks’ Signature Rustic Greek Salad
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into 8 wedges
- ½ English cucumber cut on a bias
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Up to 200 grams crumbled feta
- Rooks to Cooks’ Greek salad dressing recipe
- Optional: 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- Mix all the contents of salad together in a bowl. Pour salad dressing over the vegetables and toss lightly. Let sit for about 30 minutes and serve. ENJOY!