Hey kids, grab your aprons and let’s get cooking! At Rooks to Cooks, we are all about teaching kids the skills they need to feel confident in the kitchen.
For #KidsTakeOverTheKitchenDay, we want to help you get your kids involved in mealtime food preparation. You want to get them excited about cooking. The more involved they are, from start to finish, the more likely kids will want to help cook and, of course, eat their creations!
Check out our handy tips below and an easy recipe to encourage your young chefs to “Take Over the Kitchen”:
- Safety first! Be sure to supervise your children in the kitchen and gauge which tasks are appropriate for your child’s age and maturity level. Initially, it’s best if the recipes are simple and require some repetitive steps to help kids practice and feel more confident with their abilities.
- Try to make meal prep fun and stress-free. Kids love to use kitchen tools, like a lemon squeezer, rolling pin, whisk, garlic press, or ‘painting’ using a pastry brush. Recipes that involve various steps are great to keep kids interested and focused. Be patient and supportive and let them know they are doing a great job!
- Have your kids pick the recipes and go shopping with you. Children are more likely to help with meals if they can take ownership and are involved in the entire cooking process. Look through recipe books and find healthy choices with menu items that they would like to try.
Check out Chef Shai’s recipe for Spanakopita … Soooo delicious and kids will enjoy making this one for sure!!
Spinach & Feta Spanakopita Triangles
Yield: 15 Triangles
- 12 Phyllo pastry sheets
- 500g feta cheese
- 450g frozen spinach, thawed & strained
- 100g eggs
- 20ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced (150g)
- 2g ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Sweat onions in a pan until translucent.
- In a food processor, blend spinach and sweated onions until fine. Add feta, egg and pepper. Process until well combined.
- Season to taste.
To Assemble & bake spanakopita triangles:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare your phyllo dough. Lay 1 sheet down, brush with canola oil. Top with another sheet. Brush second sheet with canola oil. Lay the 3rd and final sheet on top.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the phyllo widthwise into 5 equal strips.
- To assemble spanakopita triangle. Top the bottom of the strip (end closest to you) with approximately 1.5 Tablespoons of filling. Fold as shown in the images below.
- Prepare a sheet pan lined with parchment. Arrange spanakopita triangles on sheet pan. Egg wash and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.