Rolled Gingerbread & Royal Icing
- Gingerbread is a crisp sweet cookie characterized by it’s warm spice mix and sweet molasses taste.
- Gingerbread is considered an edible token of luck. The popular gingerbread man shape is said to have come from the man-shaped cookies that folk medicine practitioners used to bake for their young female patients to help capture the “man of their dreams”. It was believed if she could get him to eat it, then he would fall in madly in love with her.
- The gingerbread house became popular in Germany after the Brothers Grimm published their fairy tale collection which included “Hansel and Gretel” in the 19th Century.
- Queen Elizabeth I of England is credited with the first gingerbread men.
Day 2 – Rooks to Cooks’ Top 10 Holiday Recipe Countdown
Rooks to Cooks’ Rolled Gingerbread Recipe
Yield: Approximately 3 dozen gingerbread men
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup molasses
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp salt
- Using a stand up mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the sugar and butter until fully combined. Add the molasses and beat until incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between. Scrape down the sides of the bowls.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven the 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and let sit for 10 minutes or until pliable. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Dust a surface with flour. Roll dough evenly ⅛ th of an inch thick. Cut out cookies using any shape you desire or if you wish to make a house, use the stencil provided. Dust off your scraps, form a new dough disk. Stick the reused dough disk underneath and in the center of the next portion. Roll and repeat the process until no dough is left.
- Put cookies on sheet pan ½ inch apart. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Chef Shai’s Signature Royal Icing Recipe
Yield: Approximately 1.5 Litres
- ¾ cup warm water (⅔ cup of water for gingerbread house needs)
- 5 Tbsp meringue powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 kg icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In an electric mixer, whisk together the meringue powder and warm water until dissolved.
- Add cream of tartar, whisk to combine.
- Add all of the icing sugar and whisk. Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- To store, pour into an airtight container. To be extra safe, layer plastic wrap directly overtop, making sure the icing is not in contact with the air.