Citrus Stuffed Holiday Turkey
- Have you ever wondered why you get sleepy after a turkey meal? Turkey contains the amino acid tryptophan, which forms the basis of brain chemicals that make people tired.
- Tips for a successful roasted turkey:
- Make sure your turkey is room temperature before you roast it.
- Brine your turkey for a more flavourful and moist turkey.
- Make your stuffing outside of the turkey vs inside for optimal cooking.
- If possible, try and purchase a free range organic turkey for a better tasting bird.
- Truss your turkey to help ensure your white and dark meat cooks at the same rate.
Day 4 – Top 10 Holiday Recipe Countdown
Chef Shai’s Signature Holiday Roast Turkey
Yield: 12 servings + Leftovers
- 1 whole turkey (12 lbs) innards removed
- 2 medium cooking onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges, halved and sliced
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary, rough chop
- 3 sprigs thyme, rough chop
- 3 sprigs sage, rough chop
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ olive oil or butter
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss together the onion, orange, lemon, rosemary, thyme, sage and garlic in a large bowl.
- Season the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper. Once seasoned, stuff the turkey with citrus and herb mixture. Make sure to fit it all in.
- Rub the outside of the turkey with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey breast side down in a roasting pan with a rack. Pour stock into the bottom of the pan. Roast the turkey for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the skin browns.
- Remove turkey from the oven and flip it breast side up, gently. Put the turkey back into the oven and roast for an additional 30 minutes, or until the skin is brown and crisp.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 325F and roast for an additional 1 ½ hours, OR until your meat thermometer reads 150F.
- Remove turkey from oven and cover with 3 large dish towels to rest and keep warm. The turkey will continue to cook and the temperature will continue to rise. Rest turkey for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Carve and serve. Reserve bones for making turkey stock!