- Gingerbread loaf actually tastes better the second day. Letting the loaf rest in the fridge overnight helps the flavours intensify!
- Ginger also has plenty of benefits. It’s an ancient root that’s been used for the treatment of numerous ailments, such as colds, nausea, arthritis, migraines and hypertension. A fine excuse to have a big slice of this gingerbread loaf!
Chef Shai’s Signature Gingerbread Loaf
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ orange zested
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ orange zested
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Chopped candied ginger for garnish
For the loaf
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line one 7 inch x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer and paddle attachment, mix together the sugar and orange zest until sugar becomes dampened and the aroma of orange is strong. Add in the butter and cream until fluffy. Add in the egg and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the applesauce and baking soda to the creamed butter mixture. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Add mixture to creamed butter and mix until Just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While loaf is baking, prepare the frosting: In a stand up mixer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add the vanilla and orange zest. Slowly add the icing sugar and mix until completely smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, evenly spread the frosting on top. Garnish with the chopped candied ginger.
- Refrigerate loaf until ready to serve. The loaf actually tastes better chilled for 24 hours.